Peter is Professor of Design Studies. He joined the Open University in April 2005. He is currently supervising two PhD students in the area of design thinking and ambient interactivity.
His research interests include: Design Ethics, Storytelling in the Design Process, Design in the Media, and Video Assisted Learning in Design. He is associate editor for the leading journal Design Studies, and membership secretary for the Design Research Society.
In teaching he recently led development of the ground breaking course U101: Design Thinking - Creativity for the 21st Century.
Phone: +44 (0)1908 659546
Fax: +44 (0)1908 654052
Room: N2017 Venables building
Birkett, S., Lloyd, P.A., Garner, S. (in press) Education to Practice: The Development of Responsibility in Product Designers, Journal of Design Research.
Lloyd, P.A., McDonnell, J. (eds) (2010) About: Designing - Analysing Design Meetings, Taylor and Francis.
Lloyd, P.A. (2009) Ethical Imagination and Design, Design Studies, 30, pp 154-168.
Lloyd, P.A., van de Poel, I. (2008) Designing Games to Teach Ethics, Science and Engineering Ethics, 14, pp 433-447. [pdf]
McDonnell, J., Lloyd, P.A., Valkenburg, R. (2004) Development of Design Expertise through the Construction of Video Stories, Design Studies, 25, 509-525. [pdf]
Lloyd, P.A., Busby, J.S. (2003) ‘Things That Went Well – No Serious Accidents or Deaths’ : Ethical Reasoning in a Normal Engineering Design Process, Science and Engineering Ethics, 9, 503-516. [pdf]
Lloyd, P.A., Snelders, H.M.J.J. (2003) What Was Philippe Starck Thinking of? Design Studies, 24, pp 237-253. [pdf]
Lloyd, P.A. (2002) Making a Drama out of a Process: How Television Represents Designing, Design Studies, 23, pp 113-133. [pdf]
Lloyd, P.A., Busby, J.S. (2001) Softening Up the Facts: Engineers in Design Meetings, Design Issues, 17, pp 67-82. [pdf]
Lloyd, P.A. (2000) Storytelling and the Development of Discourse in the Engineering Design Process, Design Studies, 21, pp 357-373. [pdf]
• Secrets of Buildings. Academic Advisor for a 3-part Open University/Channel 4 co-production on Architecture and Psychology.
• Ph.D Supervision. I currently supervise three PhD students, Andreas Peter is looking at design thinking in practice, Anijo Mathew is looking at the nature of interactivty within architectural space, and Darren Umney is looking at the ecology and archaeology of design decision-making. Stacey Birkett completed her PhD "The Development of Responsibility in Product Designers" under my supervision in May 2010.
• Design and Ethical Imagination. I am interested in the area of design and ethics. In November 2006 I gave a seminar on Design, Ethics, and Imagination [pdf] which I am now developing for a conference presentation in May 2011.
• Design Discourse. I am currently (March 2011) putting together a bid for an AHRC grant looking at Design Discourse in a number of areas.
• Design Education. I have been invited to contribute to the Cumulus 2011 DRS Paris symposium where I will be presenting a paper titled 'Does Design Education Always Result in Designers?'
B.Sc. (hons) Electronic Engineering
Sussex University (1988)
Ph.D. Psychological Investigations of the Conceptual Design Process
University of Sheffield (1995)
Open University (1998)
Cranfield University (1995-1999)
Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands (1999-2001)
Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands (2001-2005)
The Open University, UK (2005-2011)
Professor of Design Studies
The Open University, UK (2011-Present)
Council Member and Membership Secretary of the Design Research Society
Fellow of the Royal Society for Arts and Manufactures (FRSA)
Member of the Management board for the Design Education Special Interest Group of the Design Society
Member of the British Society for Aesthetics
I was production course team chair for U101: Design Thinking - Creativity for the 21st Century a new first-level, web-based 60pt course that teaches students about the wide applicability of design thinking. U101 was first presented in February 2010.
I am currently a member of two course teams: T2ad and T3ab, new second and third level courses in design and designing.
I have been presentation chair for T211: Design and Designing, and have also worked on T183: Design and the Web.
In the past I have taught courses in Design Theory and Methodology, Ethics for Designers and Architects, and Reflection on Design.
Full CV including complete list of publications [pdf]
Page Last Updated: 30 November, 2012